Putting Value into Property Management

Property investors, do you ever wish that managing your investment was more profitable and less stressful?
Find out here how that's possible.

Tenants’ FAQs

Tenants’ FAQs: here’s everything you need to know about renting with Bridgman Property Management.

Tenants’ FAQs: here’s everything you need to know about renting with Bridgman Property Management.

How much does it cost to get into a property?

A bond of 4 weeks’ rent will be required upfront, together with the first fortnight’s rent in advance. This must be paid in cash.

How much is the bond?

The bond is equivalent to 4 weeks of rent.

Where is the bond lodged?

By law, the Department of Building and Housing holds the bond. To initiate this, the tenant and Bridgman Property Management complete and sign the Bond Lodgement Form.

We’ll then send the form and the bond to the Department of Building and Housing within 23 working days.

How do I get my bond back at the end of the tenancy?

Once you’ve moved out, we’ll conduct a final inspection to ensure that the property is in the same condition as when you moved in (allowing for fair wear and tear). That means that the property and chattels must be clean, tidy and free from damage. Once we’re satisfied with that, your bond will be refunded to you.

How often are rent payments due?

Rent payments are due fortnightly by Automatic Payment to Bridgman Property Management’s bank account.

What happens if I’m late with the rent?

Bridgman Property Management has a zero tolerance policy for late rent payment. If your rent is late, we will contact you within 24 hours, and if required, we’ll arrange to visit you to collect the outstanding rent. If you think that your rent payment may be late for any reason, please contact us immediately.

If you have a cash flow hiccup, you are able to pay your rent by credit card – please contact us to arrange this. There is an additional credit card fee for this service.

Do I need any insurance?

Yes, it’s recommended that you take out insurance for your personal belongings. While the landlord must have insurance for the property (i.e. the physical buildings on the section), this will not cover any of your personal belongings.

Who pays for the utilities (gas, electricity, phone, water, etc.)?

Tenants must pay for utilities such as electricity, gas, telecommunications and rubbish bags. In addition, the tenant must pay for metered water if there’s a separate water meter and the water supplier charges on the basis of metered water. The landlord pays for the local Council Rates.

When you move into the property, it’s your responsibility to change the electricity, gas and telecommunications accounts into your name. It’s also your responsibility to finalise these accounts when you vacate, and to pay any money owing.

It’s up to you which utilities companies you choose as your supplier.

Can I get Sky installed?

If Sky isn’t already installed at your property, and would like to have it installed, this will be at your cost, but it requires our written permission: please call us on 09 638 9415 to arrange this. If you make arrangements for installation without our written consent, you may be liable for any damage caused to the property by the installer.

What should I do if a flatmate leaves?

Sometimes a flatmate may leave, but existing tenant(s) wish to stay on. If this is the case, you’ll need to get permission from Bridgman Property Management – please contact us. If we agree, a new Tenancy Agreement will need to be drawn up to include any new flatmates, and you’ll also need to fill in and sign a “Change of Tenant” bond form and send it to us.

What should I do if I lose any keys or lock myself out?

If you lock yourself out of the property or lose your keys, please call us on 09 638 9415 to use our key: you’ll need to have photo ID on you when we visit. For security reasons, this service is only available for tenants listed on the Tenancy Agreement.

Note that you should never call a locksmith yourself: under the Residential Tenancies Act, only the landlord can change the locks (though the tenant must agree to it). So if you lock yourself out – call us!

What should I do if the property needs any repairs or maintenance?

Please contact us with details of what needs attention, and we’ll organise tradesmen to take care of it.

If you need to pay for any damage, you have the option of paying this with your credit card. There is an additional credit card fee for this service.

HELP! I’ve got an emergency at the property! What should I do?

Please contact Bridgman Property Management immediately on 027 475 9735. You can call this number 24/7 in case of emergency.

What are my legal obligations as a tenant?

You can read tenants’ legal obligations here.

What are the landlord’s legal obligations?

You can read the landlord’s legal obligations here. Please note that Bridgman Property Management assumes all legal responsibilities on behalf of the property owner. Tenants don’t communicate with the property owner directly, as their responsibilities have been delegated to us.

What happens if there are any problems with my tenancy?

You can read about mediation and tenancy tribunals here.

What steps do I need to take if I wish to vacate the property?

All the information about vacating properties is here.

What happens to any items left at the property by a tenant?

Sometimes a tenant doesn’t take all of their belongings with them at the end of the tenancy. By law, the landlord can immediately dispose of foodstuffs and perishable goods. For other goods, we’ll attempt to contact the tenant to arrange collection of any other abandoned goods.

If the goods remain uncollected, the landlord should make all reasonable efforts to assess the market value of the goods and:

  • Immediately dispose of any goods where the cost of removing, storing and selling the goods would be more than the proceeds of sale (except for personal papers);
  • If the value of the goods is more than the cost of removing and storing the goods, then the landlord must store the goods for at least 35 days, after which time they can be sold at a reasonable market price.

Any personal papers unclaimed after 35 days may remain in storage or else must be handed to the police. The tenant may claim any stored goods at any time prior to disposal, on payment of reasonable storage and disposal costs. The landlord may deduct removal, storage and disposal costs from sale proceeds. The remaining funds must be paid to the Residential Tenancies Trust Account. The landlord may apply to the Tenancy Tribunal for those funds to be paid to the landlord to cover other money owed to the landlord. And at any stage, the landlord may apply to the Tenancy Tribunal for an order on how to deal with the goods.

What legal obligations does a tenant have? Find out here

free property management help
First name: *
Last name: *
Email address: *